The Basilica Sanctuary of the Divine Eternal Father is a bit of heaven in the heart of Brazil. A sacred place where God communicates with men. It is a welcoming space that reveals the unique way of the Lord’s merciful love. In Trindade (GO), the House of the Father is the faith of believers in an exciting devotion that began around 1840.
Santuário Basílica do Divino Pai Eterno
On the centenary of the Pilgrimage, in 1943, the Archbishop of Goiás, at the time Archbishop Emanuel Gomes de Oliveira, laid the foundation stone of the current Sanctuary. In 1955, despite all efforts, the work still had not been out of the foundations. Already in 1957, with the creation and installation of the Archdiocese of Goiânia, Don Fernando Gomes dos Santos presented a project for construction. Thus, since 1974, the novenas and the feast of the Divine Eternal Father were already performed on site. In 1994, with the help of pilgrims and devotees, the temple was completely renovated, becoming even more worthy to be called the “Sanctuary of the Divine Eternal Father”.
The pilgrimage has gained momentum and also the recognition of the House of the Father. On April 4, 2006, the then Pope Benedict XVI, following a request of the Archbishop of Goiânia, Bishop Washington Cruz C.P., awarded the title of Minor Basilica to the Sanctuary. On 18 November the same year, the installation of Sacrosanct Basilica began, the only in the world dedicated to the Divine Eternal Father.
In the town of Trindade, there is also another temple of devotion. The first chapel was built in 1843 and was covered with leaves of Buriti. With the strenthening of faith, larger chapels were built, until in 1912 the first Sanctuary of the Divine Eternal Father was inaugurated, which is now known as Old Sanctuary or Main Church. In its 100 year anniversary in 2012, it was listed by the National Historical and Artistic Heritage (Iphan) as a National Historical and Artistic Heritage. In 2013, it received a new listing, this time as Material Cultural Heritage of Brazil.
Confident in God, we continue the story. In 2011, at Trindade (GO), the process for building the new and final home of the Father, to better accommodate the devotees started. Construction began in 2012 and continues to support the sons and daughters of the Eternal Father.